≡ Menu

Slow Roasted Pork Belly

Slow Roasted Pork Belly

Slow Roasted Pork Belly has been on several cooking shows lately about how great it is to eat so when I saw some on special at my supermarket, I had to give it a go.

I read several posts on the best ways to cook it and there were a lot of options such as putting it on vegetables to roast on, marinating the meat in wet marinades or using dry rubs however I went for my usual approach to cooking (KISS –  keep is simple silly)

I scored the top of the meat with a sharp knife, trying to just cut the fat and not the meat.  I decided to just do cuts about how thick I wanted the slices to be when I served them so they were about 2 cm apart.

I  read posts about how to make the best crackling and decided I would:

• Pour boiling water over the rind and pat it dry.
    This is something I tried after reading about it on a post and I do it every time for a crispy rind.
  • Oil the rind
  • Sprinkle sea salt all over it.  Use a lot because you can brush it off after cooking and it helps the crackle to appear.
    I prefer to use a flaky salt and my favourite salt is pink Murray River Salt.

I put it straight on a high tray in my Round Convection Oven at the highest heat for 20 minutes.  I had the extender ring on so that the heating unit was as high as it could go.  I didn’t want the rind to burn.

After 20 minutes, I dropped the heat down to 170o C / 338o F and cooked for another 60 minutes as I had a small piece of pork belly.  If you have a larger piece it will be probably take 90 minutes or more.

When it was done, I put the power up to full heat again and watched the crackle appear.  This takes about 5 minutes  and this is the only time I spend watching the pork cook.

As soon as it crackled, I turned the power off and lifted the lid.  This is important because if you leave the lid down, the crackle can go soggy.  Leave it to rest in the oven whilst you get your vegetables or salad onto the plate.

I usually add some pumpkin, microwaved potatoes and sweet potatoes about 20 minutes before it’s finished to enjoy with my Roasted Pork Belly.

I microwave the potatoes and sweet potatoes to help them to cook faster.  I seem to get a fluffy potato doing this however you can cook them just as they are without microwaving and just cook them longer. I usually fit in enough around the tray the pork is on, however if it’s a large piece of pork belly, lift out the tray the meat is on and put in a smaller tray with the vegetables on them.  They will be basted by the oil dripping from the pork belly.

Take the Slow Roasted Pork Belly out and cut throw the cuts in the crackle to serve with your vegetables or a salad.  I added Mint Jelly as a sauce as I prefer it to a gravy.

The meat is so tender it just falls apart and as for the crackle – yum, who doesn’t love crispy crackle.

This is how I cook  Slow Roasted Pork Belly and will have it again and again.

This recipe is perfect for a cold Winter Dinner.  In Australia, Summer is coming however I cook this in my Round Convection Oven and it doesn’t make the kitchen too hot, so I’m looking forward to enjoying this in summer with a delicious Salad as a weekend treat.

Tania Shipman
Convection Oven Lady
Easy, fast, healthy cooking

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
{ 16 comments… add one }
  • Doctor Bill October 2, 2011, 4:54 pm

Hello Tanny
    My mouth was watering while reading your post.
    I also learned the trick of pouring boiling water over the cut rind from a well known TV chef. It works beautifully.

• Convection Oven Lady October 2, 2011, 7:21 pm

Doctor Bill, I’m glad you enjoyed the post. It’s a great trick and makes such a difference to having crunchy crackle

• Jan Littlehales October 3, 2011, 11:47 am

Wow – how good does that slow roasted pork belly look Tanny – yum!
    Like you say, perfect for a cold ‘winter’s’ day (I wish spring would arrive in Sydney)
    Jan Littlehales recently posted..Food BloggingMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady October 3, 2011, 10:04 pm

Hi Jan, it is yummy. At least when it’s cold I can enjoy it and the way spring is going, I’ll be enjoying it for at least another month.

• Ariel Giron October 3, 2011, 8:13 pm

Try this easy-peasy dipping sauce. It cuts through the greasiness of the pork.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 bird’s eye chilli, chopped

Combine all ingredients together. Enjoy!
    Ariel Giron recently posted..Leche FlanMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady October 3, 2011, 9:58 pm

Thanks Ariel, that’s sound delicious. I’ll give it a try next time I make my Pork Belly.

• ljc October 7, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hello. I agree with you – 100% +. Thank you for the information. Mike.

• Convection Oven Lady October 8, 2011, 1:11 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for your comment

• Kerry Lea October 9, 2011, 3:57 pm

Hi Tania
    I will have to try the boiled water trick next time I cook pork. I usually rub in the salt and oil and once cooked put the rind under the grill. The pork belly looks yum.

• Willson October 10, 2011, 9:40 pm

I love Roasted Pork Belly! It’s delicious. I’ve never try making it before due to the fact that it’s quite time consuming. However it sounds quite simple from your article and I might give it a go one day! Thank you for sharing!

Wilson
    Willson recently posted..How Do Photovoltaic Cells WorkMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady October 13, 2011, 5:04 pm

Hi Wilson, thanks for your post. It is so easy and I love how little preparation there is. Let me know if you give it a go

• BlueHost Reviews October 16, 2011, 7:48 pm

Good post! This is the kind of information that should be distributed on the online community. I would like to read more of this.

• frances campbell June 4, 2014, 11:54 pm

I have just bought an Aldi bench top turbo oven, and I am a little frightened to use it. However, I really want to cook a fresh ham hock in it i.e. make a roast dinner of pork and crackling for just me. Do you think this is a good idea ?
    I am just a little frightened that my turbo might explode if the crackling starts spitting

• Mary April 7, 2016, 8:02 pm

Wow it looks stunning. Roasted pock belly makes my mouth watering. I haven’t made it before but I’m thinking of cooking pock tomorrow. Thanks for your instruction.