≡ Menu

Pumpkin Feta Rocket and Pine Nut Salad

Pumpkin Feta Rocket and Pine Nut Salad

A delicious salad made using my Countertop Convection Oven.  Two of the essential ingredients were made in the convection oven.  This is a really simple salad to make that uses the ease of cooking in the convection oven to make a lovely salad.

Ingredients

• Pumpkin
  • Feta
  • Rocket
  • Pine Nuts
  • Mixed Salad Leaves
  • Honey Mustard Dressing

Preparation

I used butternut pumpkin for this salad but any pumpkin that is delicious roasted can be used.  I would also recommend Jap and Kent pumpkin. I peeled and cut about 500 grams of pumpkin and cut and cubed it.  Cut up into larger cubes to make sure it holds together.  It’s much easer to cut up larger pieces then realise your smaller cubes are falling apart.  I put it into a shallow glass tray I use for roasting vegetables, mixed it with some olive oil, salt and pepper and placed it in the oven for 20 minutes at 180o C/360o F. Whilst the pumpkin is cooking, I prepare the Honey Mustard Dressing.

Honey Mustard Dressing

• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp Wholegrain mustard
  • 1 Tbs honey
  • 1 Tbs white wine vinegar ( you can also use Cider or White Balsamic Vinegar)
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Put all the ingredients into a screw top jar and shake it mix.  It will keep in the fridge nicely.  I’m not sure how long because I keep using it.

Note:  This is a sweet dressing.  If you don’t like sweet dressings, just reduce the amount of honey.  When I first made it, the amount of honey was double what I have here because I found the recipe on a website.  I added wholegrain honey mustard to my dressing.  Each salad dressing is personal and you should change it to meet your own taste.

Now go through your salad and rocket leaves.  Pick out any leaves that are not fresh. If you have a salad spinner, put all the salad and rocket leaves into the spinner, fill it with water and swirl the leaves, then drain the water.  Spin the leaves dry and put aside waiting on the pumpkin to finish cooking.

I like Greek Feta for this salad.  Cut into cubes. If the pumpkin has finished cooking, take it out of the oven and put aside to cool slightly.  I rinse and dry the dish I used and put the pine nuts onto it to roast.  The first time you do this, you will need to watch the nuts because each oven is different.  I cooked mine for about 5 minutes using the same temperature for the pumpkin. I mix the salad leaves, rocket, feta and pine nuts into a bowl, then add the dressing and give it another mix. I put the salad mix onto a plate and place the pumpkin on top with a final drizzle of the dressing.  Enjoy your Pumpkin Feta Rocket and Pine Nut Salad.

Variations

• Finely sliced red onion.
  • Haloumi instead of Feta
  • Chicken
  • Sweet Potato instead of pumpkin or even combined

This is a delicious salad and will be one of my favourites for summer.  You can cook all of this the night before and have it ready to take to work or on a picnic the next day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Harry Lynn January 2, 2012, 11:11 pm

G’day Tania,
    What a delicious sounding salad…………..think I’ll be using your recipe soon. I’ve been using wombok, a Chinese cabbage for nearly all my diced / tossed salads lately as it keeps better / longer than lettuce / rocket etc and has a special flavour. Happy New year to you and Marcus.
    Cheers
    Harry
    Harry Lynn recently posted..Learning Piano – My Learning Journey Part FourMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 3, 2012, 7:13 am

Hi Harry, Happy New Year to you and your family also. 🙂

I’ve never tried Wombok, so I’ll check that out. I love cabbage so that’s definitely worth a look.

I recently read a report on how to keep your lettuce / rocket lasting and so far it seems to be working.

Pick out any grungy, yucky leaves and discard. Place your salad leaves into a salad spinner or colander, then fill it with water, allowing the leaves to float around in it. Use the sink if your spinner allows it all to run out. Then lift the spinner so all the water drains out and give it a good spin. If using a colander, give the leaves a really good shake, then dry them on a paper towel or cloth towel. Place the spun leaves into a container lined with a paper towel and cover with another. They keep much longer for only a little amount of preperation.

• Wilson January 3, 2012, 4:42 am

Looks like an amazing recipe. I dont mind trying that one day soon! Seems simple enough to prepare as well. Thank you for sharing this!

Regards
    Wilson
    Wilson recently posted..Occasion Wear For WeddingsMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 3, 2012, 7:13 am

Hi Wilson. It is a yummy recipe. I really enjoyed making it and I’m going to enjoy it more over the summer.

• Lisa Wood January 3, 2012, 1:55 pm

Oh yummy – never though to try making a Pumkin Feta Rocket salad with cooking pumpkin in my Convection Oven…I wonder why as it is one of my all time favorite salads. Must admit that the Pine Nuts are essential as one day I made it without the nuts and it didnt taste the same 🙂

Now I am hungry!

Cheers
    Lisa
    Lisa Wood recently posted..Healthy Eating And Healthy SmoothiesMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 5, 2012, 8:43 am

Hi Lisa. It was quick and easy to make it. I have to agree the pine nuts make the difference. Let me know how your Pumpkin and Feta Salad turns out when you make it. By the way, toasting pine nuts in the convection oven – no problems about burning them, once you work out the temperature and time to cook them. That’s always been an issue when using them, I would forget them for that one extra second and have burnt pine nuts. I hope you enjoy it.

• Jackie Stenhouse January 3, 2012, 7:39 pm

I love pumpkin and I love feta so this salad is right up my alley. I wish I had the recipe for Christmas, it would have been perfect with our glazed ham and turkey.

• Convection Oven Lady January 5, 2012, 8:44 am

Hi Jackie – what a great idea for next Christmas :). Don’t forget we have Australia Day coming up. It would be a great salad for that.

• Jan Littlehales January 5, 2012, 9:31 am

Your Pumpkin Feta Rocket and Pine Nut Salad sounds fabulous after all the Christmas indulgences 🙂
    Jan Littlehales recently posted..Ratatouille Recipe – in Ten MinutesMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 6, 2012, 8:04 pm

Hi Jan, it’s so yummy it tastes like a treat but it’s a yummy healthy recipe.

• Sue-Ellen January 5, 2012, 5:41 pm

Yum, the pumpkin feta rocket and pine nut salad looks so tasty, and I am looking forward to trying the dressing too :).
    With summer well and truly upon us, this salad will be great to make for family and friends. Now its time to get the BBQ going so I can try out the salad.
    Sue-Ellen recently posted..22 Horse colic symptoms you need to knowMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 6, 2012, 8:05 pm

Hi Sue-Ellen, the dressing is yummy and really easy to make into ‘your’ favourite dressing. Let me know how the pumpkin tastes on the BBQ, sounds delicious.

• Rita January 6, 2012, 8:55 am

Hi Tanny,
    I too love pumpkin but never thought of using it in a salad and the Pumpkin Feta Rocket and Pine Nut Salad sounds like a good place to start
    Rita recently posted..Exercising To Lose Belly FatMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady January 6, 2012, 8:06 pm

Rita, I was the same until a little while ago. I love baked pumpkin and pumpkin soup but this is just delicious. Let me know how your salad tasted.