≡ Menu

Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham

Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham

This recipe is a delicious entree for two or a lunch for one.  The saltiness of the ham combined with the asparagus makes it a delicious combination.

I recently saw a show highlighting Serrano Ham and then  I found a store selling some and just had to try it.  I decided to go with a classic and make Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham.

This is such a simple appetiser or even a quick and easy lunch when made in the Countertop Convection Oven.  It’s seriously so easy to make it’s almost criminal how great it tastes.

It has 4 ingredients and takes minutes to put together.

Ingredients

• A bunch of asparagus
  • Serrano Ham (or Prosciutto or Streaky Bacon) – buy at least a few more then the amount of asparagus you have because you will want to eat some .
  • Oil
  • Lemon

Preparation

Take the Asparagus and bend it until the woody, hard end snaps off.  Take your thinly sliced Serrano Ham and starting from the top, wrap it around the asparagus in a diagonal way, wrapping it all around the asparagus.  I easily managed to get one piece of Ham to cover the asparagus.

Place the high rack in your Round Convection Oven and spray some oil on it.  I prefer to use a Olive Oil Spray Bottle.  This prevents the ham sticking to the rack.

Place the Asparagus and Serrano Ham on the high Rack and cook at 180oC / 356o F for about 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your asparagus.

The Serrano Ham will go a lovely golden colour and the asparagus cooks to a crunchy texture.  If you like it softer, cook longer on a lower temperature and if you like it very crunchy, cook it quickly using about 200oC/ 390oF.

Once cooked, serve it up as an entrée for two or lunch for one person and enjoy this delicious treat.  I added the lemon wedge to help cut through the richness of the ham.

Notes

Serrano Ham is expensive.  I paid $75 a kilo for it, however 100 grams provided with me over 12 slices, more then I needed for this dish.  The asparagus was $2.50 so for less then $10 I had a very nice lunch.  You can easily replace the ham with prosciutto or streaky bacon to keep costs down.

I hope you enjoy your Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham as much as I did.

If you enjoyed my post, please share it and if you would like to stay up to date, sign up for my list so you know when new posts are made.

Thanks for reading.

Tania Shipman
Convection Oven Lady

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
{ 14 comments… add one }
  • John Davis March 26, 2012, 7:00 pm

Very tasty dish. Asparagus is grown recently in town of Harden for overseas and domestic use. Asparagus goes with so many dishes. Asparagus in Serrano ham YUM
    John Davis recently posted..The Number 1 Thing You Need to Know to Improve your TradingMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady March 26, 2012, 7:49 pm

Hi John, how interesting about Harden selling asparagus both locally and overseas. I agree, asparagus is great with so many dishes.

• Jan Littlehales March 27, 2012, 8:32 am

I’d happily eat this for lunch – asparagus and ham go so well together. I’ll check out serrano ham – don’t think I’ve had it before.
    Another nice recipe!
    Jan Littlehales recently posted..Jamie’s Dressed Potatoes – in Ten MinutesMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady March 30, 2012, 8:19 am

Jan, the flavours are just delicious. Let me know what you think of Serrano Ham.

• Murray River March 27, 2012, 9:23 pm

Not sure if I’ve tried Serrano Ham before, but surprisingly I have recently become a fan of asparagus…when cooked on the barbie with a little honey 🙂

Cheers for the recipe,
    Cade
    Murray River recently posted..Murray River Water Levels in NSW, VIC and SAMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady March 30, 2012, 8:18 am

Hi Cade, it’s similar but different to Prosciutto. It’s very nice wrapped around. I haven’t tried asparagus and honey, I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the recipe tip 🙂

• Rita Pepper March 29, 2012, 5:09 pm

This will be one that I will cook I love asparagus and ham
    Rita Pepper recently posted..A Healthy HeartMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady March 30, 2012, 6:27 pm

Hi Rita, I’m glad you liked the recipe.

• Renee March 30, 2012, 5:06 pm

Asparagus wrapped with serrano ham – that sounds delicious. And it seems to be really easy to prepar. I will have to try that soon, as I love both ingredients 🙂
    Renee recently posted..Couple GetawaysMy Profile

• Convection Oven Lady March 30, 2012, 6:27 pm

Renee, it was seriously delicious. So much so I’m going shopping tomorrow to get more 🙂 Very quick to make, so easy and very addictive,

• Kerry Lea April 3, 2012, 7:11 am

Sounds like a delicious idea for a Saturday or Sunday lunch and so quick and easy.

• Carolyn May 7, 2012, 6:53 pm

Scrumptous recipe… I love asparagus. And I love easy recipes.

• Convection Oven Lady May 12, 2012, 9:16 am

Hi Carolyn, it’s really an easy meal. Thanks for liking the recipe

• Convection Oven Lady May 19, 2012, 8:24 am

Hi Keith
        I’m actually using both for this winter. I brown the meat – fast grill, in the convection oven, then put it in my slow cooker to cook during the day. I get to come home to those lovely meals which need a long slow cook.

Mornings are always a rush, so knowing I can put the meat and vegetables into the convection oven whilst getting ready, then assemble the whole dish in the slow cooker and go to work makes it really easy.